I am a nostalgic person in general, but being able to say “Ethan is 1” is such a joy because of all that Ethan has had to survive this year with God’s provision. So many emotions come when I think about him being 1. He has shown such strength, and I am pretty proud of myself and Ryan for keeping our sanity and keeping any child alive for a year, much less one with all of Ethan’s needs this year! In honor of the journey of raising a child in the first year, I am going to list the first 12 memories that come to mind!
1) Driving down our street when we took Ethan home from NICU at 3 weeks old.
2) Having a coming home cookout with our families.
3) Pumping and holding Ethan in the crook of my arm at the same time..weird, but we didn’t want to have him relearn everything at the hospital and stay longer. Also, pumping and feeding Ethan at the same time with a bottle. Very odd and also takes some coordination!
4) Ryan coming home after surviving his car getting totaled and holding Ethan
5) Going on walks with Ethan in a little baby carrier. He was so tiny I had to watch to make sure he was still in there.
6) Carrying ethan around on our forearms.
7) Ethan projectile pooping on me and Ryan hearing about it on the phone on the way to work..laughing his head off. Knew it would brighten his day.
8) The craziness of our kitchen when I was still pumping..thawing all that milk from the hospital, dating them, mixing them with a little formula..then cleaning all those Dr. Brown bottle parts. It looked like a lab in there!
9) Ethan’s first Buddy Walk and a LOT of “buddies” came out to support him!
10) Ethan doing his raspberries constantly, especially after his ventilator came out at his last hospitalization.
11) Ethan’s “wahwahwah” sound that his Memaw taught him. Now he does it to himself, so funny.
12) The look on Ethan’s face when he first had fruit, then icing. Wide eyed and wired!
Its been great! Can’t wait to make more memories! If anyone wants to share memories they have of Ethan, share away in the comment section!